Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ponce de Leon Baseball Week in Fort Myers, FL

I will be one of about 100 senior league baseball players from the Ponce de Leon Baseball League in the Washington DC area who will be spending this week -- January 31 to February 5 -- in Fort Myers, Florida for a week full of baseball. My friend Flint Taylor, a crafty left-hander from Brown, suggested I do a blog about the week. So for those who are interested, here it is.

I am leaving 7 inches of snow and temperatures in the teens in DC and expect weather in the 70s (with some rain forecast in the week) in Fort Myers. We are scheduled to play nine 6 inning games, Monday through Friday with skills instruction, and batting and fielding practice each morning and afternoon as well. It is not a fantasy camp run by a Major League team with their former players. This camp has players from the 35+ and 48+ Ponce de Leon League in DC -- mixed into a single division of 6 to 8 teams for the week. The Camp Director is Steve Liddle, the bench coach for the Minnesota Twins, and the team coaches are all professional major or minor league coaches. I will post more information this evening after I get to Florida.

2 comments:

  1. I am gleefully excited about this, Jay. I hope you can post pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the Hell were you doing up at 4:20 am - - - getting the old wing rubbed down? Such a schedule will really leave you "wibbled" before the week is done.
    A crooked armed lefty

    ReplyDelete