Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fantasy Camp

Today I was taking batting practice with Steve Liddle, bench coach for the Twins, pitching to me and Don Buford, a former Major League All Star for the Orioles and other teams, giving me batting adjustments to my grip and stance at the plate. I thought of the players they have played with and coached (for example, in the next few weeks Steve will be pitching batting practice to Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau -- two AL MVPs.) Here they were patiently giving the benefit of their experience and knowledge of baseball to a 63 year-old geezer who loves baseball (and another 70 geezers and near geezers here this week.) It helps make me realize what a great experience it is and how lucky I am to be here, but also an appreciation of the bond the love of baseball creates across ages, professions, background, and ability.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a little Morgan Magic, Clyborn Style, for the C Team. Have there been any Bruce Froemming sites yet? Who umps your games - - -a crew from the Old Three I (Eye) League?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make that Bruce Froemming sightings. Sincerely,
    Mordecai Three Fingers Brown (no relation to Hector "Skinny" Brown)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the coaches say, "Remember the umpires are probably as least a notch above the level of Ponce play, so don't give them a hard time." Nonetheless you should hear the camp coaches trash the umps -- major league umps and the umps here (quietly of course and not to their faces.) It is in the genes I think for a player to dislike umps.

    ReplyDelete