Saturday, January 29, 2011

Geezer Baseball, The Sequel

The Ponce de Leon Florida baseball week in Fort Myers will run from Sunday, January 30 through Friday, February 4. At the suggestion of my friend Flint Taylor and others who followed the camp on this blog last year, I am again going to post daily my impressions of activities for the week -- both the action related to the camp and, hopefully, some nuggets about major league and minor league baseball from the camp directors and managers -- all of whom are active major league or minor league coaches. As you will see, the posts I make this year will come as a continuation of the posts I did for last year's camp.

Sunday night there is a dinner and organizing meeting where team assignments, schedule for the week, and last minute instructions will be handed out. Play starts on Monday and each day will run from 9am to 4 or 4:30pm -- except Friday which ends at noon.

We are scheduled to play nine 6 inning games, Monday through Friday with skills instruction, and batting and fielding practice each morning and afternoon as well. The camp will have about 100 players from the 30+ and 48+ Ponce de Leon League in DC -- mixed into a single division of 6 to 8 teams for the week.

This past week we have had a terrible ice and snow storm in DC (we lost our power for 24 hours and on Wednesday night I was stranded in the Charlotte airport for the night) so I am looking forward to the baseball weather predicted for Fort Myers -- highs in the mid-70s to 80 throughout the week with some hint of possible rain later in the week.

If you have questions or comments there is space on the blog for you to post them. I will post more information Sunday evening after I get to Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment